To begin

In the Name of Allah, the Most Gracious, the Most Merciful

Thursday 4 November 2010

Poetry Post

Dear Reader,

It's the first week of November and because I said that I will be posting regularly now (same as before - once a week) I decided it was high time for another blog post. Problem is, I don't really have anything new to say. I've  been trudging through the same, albeit exteremly interesting, book for the past 2 weeks: Cranioklepty: Grave Robbing and the Search for Genius by Colin Dickey. So I'm not even able to write a review yet.  

In the end (which was about exactly 7 minutes ago!) I decided to write about one of the things I'm quite passionate about. Poetry. If you, my dear reader, have not even the tinyest bit of interest in poetry, then I give you premission to not read this post. Don't worry, I won't hate you for it (this is being written with a benevolent smile on my face, just in case you don't believe me).  



As far as hobbies go, I think poetry is a good one to have. Even the Prophet Muhammad (SAW) was a fan. In Women around The Messenger, by Muhammed Ali Qutb, it states that the Prophet (SAW) "did not compose poetry, but as an Arab, naturally loved refined and truthful poetry, the sort that avoided exaggeration and triviality in words and meanings ... [the Prophet (SAW)] appreciated the positive impact that poetry can have on the mind." In fact, one of his (SAW) favourite poets was a women called Al-Khansa, whose best work was a beautiful eulogy that she wrote on the death of her brother, Sakhr. Which reminds me, in an earlier post I mentioned my favourite stanza from Percy Shelley's poem To a Skylark. Again, despite the differences in time and culture, his words seem to speak true, where our "sweetest" poems are those that are derived from the "saddest" thoughts and experiences.


But as far as favourite writers go, there is always Thomas Hardy; better known for novels like Tess of the d'Urbervilles, The Mayor of Casterbridge and The Return of the Natives, (all of which I have read, by the way) set in a semi-fictional place called Wessex. But I still like his poetry the best. It's so often depressing but mostly meaningful and exquisite. My favourite is the poem Convergence of the Twain but it's a fairly long poem. The Darkling Thrush is my second favourite and is a much shorter poem:


    I leant upon a coppice gate
    When Frost was spectre-gray,
    And Winter’s dregs made desolate
    The weakening eye of day.
    The tangled bine-stems scored the sky
    Like strings of broken lyres,
    And all mankind that haunted nigh
    Had sought their household fires.

    The land’s sharp features seemed to be
    The Century’s corpse outleant,
    His crypt the cloudy canopy,
    The wind his death-lament.
    The ancient pulse of germ and birth
    Was shrunken hard and dry,
    And every spirit upon earth
    Seemed fervourless as I.

    At once a voice arose among
    The bleak twigs overhead
    In a full-hearted evensong
    Of joy illimited;
    An aged thrush, frail, gaunt, and small,
    In blast-beruffled plume,
    Had chosen thus to fling his soul
    Upon the growing gloom.

    So little cause for carolings
    Of such ecstatic sound
    Was written on terrestrial things
    Afar or nigh around,
    That I could think there trembled through
    His happy good-night air
    Some blessed Hope, whereof he knew
    And I was unaware


    This poem was written at the turn of the 20th Century: going from 1899 CE to 1900 CE was a big thing at the time! But what I like most about this poem, aside from the vivid and contrasting imagery, is that despite the death of an era, a century, there is still Hope, even for the "old birds".




    For a reason I cannot possibly fathom, I'm not much of a fan of modern poetry, but much rather prefer Victorian, 17th and 18th Century poetry. Some of my favourite poets include William Blake (London being my favourite from Songs of Experience), Robert Browning (My Last Duchess and Love Among the Ruins), Sir Walter Scott (Lady of The Lake and some parts of Marmion), Christina Rossetti (Remember),  Mary Ann Evans/George Eliot (In a London Drawingroom), William Wordsworth (Composed upon Westminster Bridge, 1802 and Daffodils)  and John Keats (To Autumn). You know, I've also noticed that I have a tendency to like poems related to the contrasts, especially between the countrysides abundant beauty and cramp city life, but also poems about Nature in general.


    One of the few modern poets that I do like, however, is Imtiaz Dharker. I came across her work while doing my GCSE's. And though I've read quite a bit of her poetry now, I still think that the following poem is the best one she's written:


    Blessing
      The skin cracks like a pod.
      There never is enough water.

      Imagine the drip of it,
      the small splash, echo
      in a tin mug,
      the voice of a kindly god.

      Sometimes, the sudden rush
      of fortune. The municipal pipe bursts,
      silver crashes to the ground
      and the flow has found
      a roar of tongues. From the huts,
      a congregation : every man woman
      child for streets around
      butts in, with pots,
      brass, copper, aluminium,
      plastic buckets,
      frantic hands,

      and naked children
      screaming in the liquid sun,
      their highlights polished to perfection,
      flashing light,
      as the blessing sings
      over their small bones.



      I've often contemplated over the idea that we privileged humans, more often than not, forget to appreciate the simple but important things/blessings in our lives. There is far too much to discuss on the topic of this modern fanaticism for materialism, too much for this one post. But I think Imtiaz Dharker's poems brilliantly brings a bit of perspective into my everyday equation. That's probably why I find myself repeatedly going back to it.


      Nevertheless, fortunately this modern time is not completely lacking in talent. Take Tim McIlrath for example, from the band Rise Against. Though he's not a technically a poet, his lyrics are akin to poetry. Here are some of my favourite lines:

      from The Good Left Undone:

      In fields where nothing grew but weeds,
      I found a flower at my feet,
      Bending there in my direction,
      I wrapped a hand around its stem,
      I pulled until the roots gave in,
      Finding there what I'd been missing...


      Inside my hands these petals browned,
      Dried up, fallen to the ground
      But it was already too late now.
      I pushed my fingers through the earth,
      Returned this flower to the dirt,
      So it could live. I walked away now.


      from The Dirt Whispered:

      She got down on hands and knees,
      One ear against the ground,
      Holding her breath to hear something,
      But the dirt made not a sound tonight.


      Echoes of songs still lurk on distant foreign shores,
      Where we danced just to please the people that only ask for more,
      So it goes
      But still we give ourselves to this
      We can't spend our lives waiting to live...


      The postcard says wish you were here
      But I'd rather I was there, 
      Holding on to the simple things before they disappear,
      That's what I meant
      But that was then, and this is now
      I'll make it up to you somehow...



      You have to agree, there is something simple but explicitly elegiac and graceful about these lyrics.

      Since I've been writing about poetry, this post would not be complete without mentioning Shakespeare and John Milton. Rather than go into lengthy odes about these two literature celebrities, which would probably bring back your nightmares from high school English classes, I'm just going to present you with some small sampling of my favourite piece of Shakespeare's work.


      Sonnet 130 by Shakespeare


      My mistress' eyes are nothing like the sun;
      Coral is far more red than her lips' red;
      If snow be white, why then her breasts are dun;
      If hairs be wires, black wires grow on her head.
      I have seen roses damask'd, red and white,
      But no such roses see I in her cheeks;
      And in some perfumes is there more delight
      Than in the breath that from my mistress reeks.
      I love to hear her speak, yet well I know
      That music hath a far more pleasing sound;
      I grant I never saw a goddess go;
      My mistress, when she walks, treads on the ground:
         And yet, by heaven, I think my love as rare
         
         As any she belied with false compare. 

      I'll leave it to you, my intelligent reader, to make what you want of these two poems. Aside: from of all the Sonnets that I've ever read in my life, these two are my favourite.
        Anyway, because I've had a few poems published in anthologies here and there, I consider myself a somewhat amateur poet. So here is a treat for you, dear reader: some of my own poetry that has been deemed worthy of publishing:


        Precious Rain 
        ©2007


        Thick pearl grey fluff
        hovering above us
        outlined by white
        where the gold sun dare to shine.
        The thousand tears
        fall from the saphire sky.
        Bitter but sweet
        the wind blows by.
        Confining others
        for me it's no matter.
        Pitter-patter
        and pitter-patter
        the droplets kiss:
        the emerald leaves
        the gemmed flowers
        the paved floors
        for hours and hours.
        It feels so soft 
        upon my skin
        the water beads
        falling within.

        It's all gone
        only some remain
        nestled on petals
        like diamons on a chain.

        Age in Laughter 
        ©2008


        Spring are the tears of the newly born
        pattering down by passing clouds of morn
        with strength to sprout through iced soil
        that which remains of Winter’s toil
        leaving behind the sound of innocence torn,
        Spring are the tears of the newly born

        Summer is the speed of sweat trickling
        casting a shadow little more than trifling
        down the backs of a multitude of flowers
        as the days lengthen, hours by hours
        rich with youth in melodious giggling,
        Summer is the speed of sweat trickling

        Autumns are a drop of ripened browns
        dew in evenings around cities and towns
        there the orange and blazing red of trees
        golden honey stolen from laboured bees
        where wary chuckles hide knowing frowns,
        Autumns are a drop of ripened browns

        Winter is a frigid mask of the pool
        where night is when we all play fool,
        dormant in death nature seems to lie
        time passes in the whisper of a sigh
        a snigger filled with writhing pain
        until Winter gives way to Spring again...


        Aside: Age in Laughter was one of my more obscure poems, written in response to a poem written by my friend Codename: Pixie, called Disappearance of Innocence


        I, the Wind
        --> -->
        ©2006


        I am like the cool wind
        on a hot summers day
        I lift your spirit 
        I lighten your heart
        I blow off some of your burden
        while I seductively stroke 
        my finger through your hair
        and then
        I am gone.
        And you try so hard
        to grip me in your grasp
        only to find you can't
        So you try so hard
        to dwell upon those memories 
        linger upon those feelings
        of cool
        while you wait for my return.
        Yet you seem to ignore
        the glass of iced water
        right in front of you
        which can cool you much better than I?


        Like Hamlet 
        ©2010


        Like the sun clinging to the clouded sky
        Before it plunges into the earth,
        I dither on a horizon
        Waiting for my ghost,

        Like the tumultuous sea of North,
        I’m calm and then I soar
        And hidden in my madness
        A pain I had not before,

        Like the wind wafting over a rose
        I kiss my lover’s breath,
        Then push it further from me
        And see it through to death.


        Aside: as you can probably tell, Like Hamlet is one of my more recent poems. I wrote it when I was re-reading Hamlet by Shakespeare. I normally don't re-read plays and much prefer to watch them. But I had just finished reading Ophelia by Lisa Klien, where Klien re-writes the play from Ophelia's perspective (one of the only two female characters in the play). That's why I ended up re-visiting a lot of Shakerspeare's work last year.

        Make sure to leave a comment to let me know what you think of my poems, and if by some miracle you like one of them, let me know which one.


        Nida

        4 comments:

        1. so talented mashAllah! I still don't see how you can make enough time to study literature!?
          My fav one has to be.... Age in Laughter. =)
          xxx Samia

          ReplyDelete
        2. Awww, Jazakallah Khair.
          lol, I do all my reading on the tube and probably the ten minutes before I fall asleep - that totals about 3hrs and 10mins/day (5 days a week), which is quite a considerable amount of time if you ask me :).
          Anyway, I'm really glad you like "Age in Laughter". Normally I get so little feed back on my poetry, so I greatly appreciated anything anyone has to say about them, even if it is just criticism.
          By the way, have you written any more poems lately? I'd love to read more of your work.

          ReplyDelete
        3. well, to be honest i think that the best poem typed onto this website by Nida would be "Age in Laughter" for the simple fact that, the poem was written as response to PIXIE showing the more competitive side of Nida's poetry. Plus the poem had a way of making it somewhat memorable by the use of repeating the first line of each stanza.

          ReplyDelete
        4. =)
          Aww, thanx hun. But I haven't really been writing for quite a while now... I shouldn't stop though should I? x

          ReplyDelete