To begin

In the Name of Allah, the Most Gracious, the Most Merciful

Saturday 28 May 2011

an Old Letter

Dear Reader,

News Bulletin: I've recently updated my 2011 Reading Challenge page. So check it out. Despite my lack of reading during the exam period, I still seem to be on target :-). If you, dear reader, think my cause is worthy and would like make a safe and secure donation online, then there is a link to it in the side bar. --->   Please help me complete this challenge, it is all for a good cause. 

Anyway, now on to the main topic of this post: The Letter. If you've been following my blog for some times then you'll remember that around this time last year, I thought up an idea for a historical novel set in the early 1800's England. (If you don't remember, click here - it begins in the second paragraph of that post.) I've fully fleshed out the plot of this story and I've realised that it's actually not much of a romance at all. It's more like a Victorian story about the acceptance of change with a little tea spoon of romance to sweeten it up. ;-) Aside: by the way this ISN'T the " top-secret-novel-idea" that I spoke about in my last post         

So yesterday, I was gazing at my calligraphy set when I got the idea that I should write a letter. I've always loved the dying art of letter-writing-for-pleasure, and this sort of correspondence features heavily in the historical story that I was talking about above. So, obviously, my mind put two and two together and I decided that I should write one of those letters that my main character Rosalind, would have written to my other main character, Lionel. And you, dear reader, are incredibly lucky as I present to you a 192 year old letter:     

The pen in the picture is the one I used to write the letter. 

The back of the letter, complete with fake wax seal. 

Those unfortunate fingers are mine!

And, finally, the letter itself.

Confession: At this early stage I didn't really know exactly what they would write to each other, so what is actually written here are the lyrics of a song that I felt fit a certain point of the story quite well. The song is called Taboo by Jonas and Plunkett. I can't seem to find those lyrics online now but if you're really interested , let me know and I'll add them to my next post. 

Anyway, I was quite upset to the lack of response to my Question of the Week, last week. but I'll try again today. If it doesn't work out then I'll stop. So this weeks Question: if you had to write a 'old style' letter, who would you write it to? If you think that's too personal then what would you write in your letter? Leave your response in the comments section below.   

That's all I have to say for now. I can't wait to read you're responses.

Nida 

2 comments:

  1. L-Manio In The Know28 May 2011 at 18:46

    Nice Post. My comment question reply: I'd write to my sister and tell that i wouldn't be where i am now had she not helped me when i needed it.

    Yes a short reply this time but i will leave a return question for you - If you could be a character in any book you've read which character and why?

    Looking forward to your reply. Have a nice week

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awww, I'm sure your sister will be really glad to read that.

    Hmmmm...now that's a hard question. I guess as far as characters that resemble my own personality, I would have to say that the one the sticks out the most is Lirael, from 'Lirael' by Garth Nix. In the beginning, she is shy and timid, in love with books and feels out of place in the Clyr. She just wants somewhere to belong. This is something I can relate to quite well.

    But for characters I admire and would like to emulate, well, I have quite a selection there, and all for the same reason actually: Gandalf From Lord of the Rings (Tolkien), both Brom and Angela from Eragon (Paolini) and Professor McGonagall from the Harry Potter series (Rowling). All these characters share some similar traits: They're wise, slightly eccentric, mentors to other main characters and all with pasts shrouded in mystery.

    I hope I've answered your question.

    ReplyDelete