To begin

In the Name of Allah, the Most Gracious, the Most Merciful

Monday 20 June 2011

this Literal post of Poetry

Dear Reader,

I'm sorry this post has come so late
but it has taken me some time to make.
You see, I wanted to do something distinct,
challenged myself to follow my instinct.
So I began to write in this very rhyme,
did my best to keep the meter in time,
resulting in this literal post of poetry.
You, dear Reader, ask what inspired me?
Tales from the Perilous RealmIt's because of this amazing chapter I'm reading
in this book, through which I'm currently speeding,
it's called Tales from the Perilous Realm
with short stories and poems that overwhelm.
Written by Tolkien, an author of repute.
To him I send my most awed salute.
He once wrote a story for his second oldest boy,
to console him when he lost his little dog toy.
Finally being published under the name Roverandom,
displaying fatherly affection, now seen so seldom.
This book's similar to The Tales of Beedle the Bard
and, I guess, for the same reason it holds my regard.
To end, I thought I would share a poem or two,
but I've realised that I have nothing much new.
Well, at least nothing good enough for you to read,
so I'll give you something else to satisfy your literary need.
It's an extract from the poem, The Sea-Bell
also by Tolkien. It reads quite well:

"I heard a sea bell swing in the swell,
       dinging, dinging, and the breakers roar
on the hidden teeth of a perilous reef;
       and at last I came to a long shore.
White it glimmered, and the sea shimmered
       with star-mirrors in a silver net;
cliffs of stone, pale as ruel-bone
       in the moon-foam were gleaming wet.
Glittering sand slid through my hand,
       dust of pearl and jewel-grist,
trumpets of opal, roses of coral,
       flutes of green and amethyst.

It's a beautiful way of describing indeed,
a beach and sand and green/purple sea-weed. 
A brilliant way of capturing the imagination
Inspiring, in spite of my aspiration.  
I believe I now have more poetry to write, 
and Inshallah, bring my writing to a new height. 
I hope to meet you once again in a few days,
But now it's time for us to part our ways. 

Nida  

No comments:

Post a Comment