To begin

In the Name of Allah, the Most Gracious, the Most Merciful

Sunday 1 July 2012

six Styles of Writing, and Me

Dear reader,

1) When is comes to writing - a thing that I do a lot of - the easiest form for me is, believe it or not, poetry and verse. Subhanallah, sometimes I find that even my thoughts are following some sort of rhyme scheme or meter, trochiac pentameter (with a lot of causurae) seem to be my subconcious' favoured style. (Aside: if you didn't understand anything from the last sentence, click on the links or over here.) When I confessed this to my mother the other day, she gave me such an odd look, as if I was a person she didn't recognise. Kind of heart breaking, given that she is the person I love second most in the world. But, in order to show you, dear reader, how natural poetry is to me, I present to you a poem that I wrote about Writing Poetry

Sometimes the most beautiful things
Are those with no inherent cause
Are spontaneously inspired
A single thought that brings
Words upon words without a pause.

So that is when these poems
Emerge and grow out of my brain
They take on life and flutter around
And align like gems upon a chain
But in my mind they cannot remain,

So I cease and caress the words
Nurture those seeds into a stem
Then my pen begins to caper
As I coax the words onto paper
That was bland and lifeless without them... 


2) The next style of writing, that I suppose I'm modestly good at, is description, in particular scenic description.I believe that description forms the majority of a piece of fictional writing. Without it, the piece would be only half-imagined and only half-conveyed. I know a lot of people who struggle with writing description. I often struggle with it myself. For some people, it's difficult to take exactly what they see in their minds and put words to it. For that, I recommend reading a dictionary and thesaurus, keep one close when writing or try thefreedictionary.com. For me, where the problem mainly lies is that my descriptions become far too long and wordy. Trust me, this is a BIG problem, because then the reader either loses interest or gets lost in the convoluted sentences. Which is the last thing any writer wants. And also, it diminshes the power and meaning of what we're trying to say. Here is a piece from Life in Conversations that, ironically, I struggled to get just right.    
She sat there,in her comfy corner seat, gazing out through the right-angled French windows; the precarious ones that over-looked the front of the house. Today she was looking out onto a silent Saturday-morning street. The summer sun causing everything to radiate with a warm glow. As she watched, a strident gust of wind swept through the yawning trees, pulling petals away from blossoms and across the sapphire sky, so that they resembled snow falling upwards. It was a perfectly inspirational moment.
Yet Nabiha’s normally spry pen hung over the page, stalled mid-sentence.
So she just sat there, her face serene, her skin soaking up the sun, her hair swathed over her neck like a blanket of silky scarlet-brown flames. Her shinny new note book lay open in her lap, with only the first page and a half filled with stunted-but-serpentine scribbles. The shaky tapping of her foot was the only indication of the frustration pent up inside her. Her brain sprinted and scrambled through hundreds of possible solutions but none of them fitted comfortably, seamlessly into the dilemma she had created. She was stuck. 

3) Then comes dialogue. I love to read dialogue. I love writing dialogue even more. Probably because it allows  the writer to reveal a person/character's personality without saying banal things like 'she liked to read the news' or 'he was witty'. Also, dialogue is one of those places where, as a writer, I can explore and develop characters and their relationships. Most of the time, when I'm in the flow of a conversation, I find that it can lead me and my characters to places I had not realised/planned, Alhumdulillah. I'm actually, at the moment, experimenting with dialogue within poetry, since I've finally begun working of my epic ballad(which I talk about here). It's called The Legend of Sirene and is the fourth "book" in fantasy quartet Chronicles by Anamika. Here's a sample from the first chapter: 

“I am one of the Sultan’s elite guards.
What you’re doing could be seen as treason.
Meddling in my mission will leave you scarred.
So it’s time for you to find your reason.”
That’s when Conla felt a prick on his chest,
And saw the knife she had pulled on him.
He had to admit, he was quite impressed,
And his language she had spoken to him!
He faced her fully, her arm he held tight
So that she could not try to escape him,
Though, he had not the will or strength to fight.
Asking how she knew his tongue, on a whim.
“How and what I know, is my own business,
Now please, will you kindly let go of me.”
“I cannot, for that I ask forgiveness.
But I must take you to MannCarh, you see.”
At his words, her round eyes were all ignite,
She suddenly stopped struggling to be freed.
Overcome by an idea so very bright,
Those pretty eyes, shone with something like greed.  
...

Please, please, dear reader, let me know what you think. I really need feedback on this to see if my experiment is working well or not.            


4) I suppose the next style of writing for me, has to be informal, non-fictional writing, like this blog or e-mails/comments to friends. I really enjoy this sort of thing because here I can just be simple-old  me, just someone who is speaking thier thoughts, if not out loud, then in at least in virtual ink. I hope you enjoy reading my blog as much as I enjoy writing it. And even if you don't, it okay because your opinion on this probably won't stop me from writing, though I might try harder to improve.
  

5) Truth  be told, I'm pretty bad at writing action pieces where there is alot of movement and snap decision making. I think that this maybe because actions are not a verbal/wordy thing, and are much better seen than read. Take comic books, for example. They are well known for their superheroes and action-packed story lines mainly because they are so visual. In a comic book, you don't expect to find a long debate on the purpose of life and love, using metaphorical examples that hold little true meaning. But you can get action in novel form and, more often than not, it's vital to the story line. As I'm just beginning to realise, myself. Before, most of my novel ideas avoided action, preferring dialogue and conversation as a means to an end. But the fantasy quartet that I just spoke about, requires a lot of action. There's wars, spies, demons, pirates, chase scenes, flying dragons and hand-to-hand combat involved! So, yeh, I'm attempting to write action, but taking slowly, one step at a time. As an example, I give you the opening paragraph of the first novel in the quartet, called The Legend of Sharon
That regal buck had no idea what was coming to him, as he sipped away at the stream, his branching antlers skimming the water. Out here in the foothills of the CahnineCarh, a tall mountain range in the southern lands of MannCarh, the green woodland rang with its own music, oblivious to all that went on in the world at large. And as Sharon nocked an arrow in her long bow, she too was oblivious to everything but the buck. She held her breath, took aim, and let it go as the arrow flew from her fingers, and straight into the throat of the animal. A quick and painless death was her preferred style... 

6) Yet the style of writing that I am the worst at, is the one I have to do most of all: non-fictional, scientific/medical writing. It is the antithesis of poetry. And I absolutely hate it. My words don't flow out easily like they do with all the other styles. It just does not come naturally to me, for some reason. I have plenty of friends who can write fantastic scientific treaties and earn the best marks, whereas I'm always struggling to scrape out the right words from my mind. And I've been told by my professors an unaccountable number of times, that my writing is just too "flowery" or "unscientific" or "round-about".   

And really long essays are the even worse, because I quickly lose focus and my mind ends up wondering towards my next poem-in-the-making or an idea for a blog post (in fact, this is exactly what I'm doing at the moment). I think this might be because, scientific writing is just so bland and clinical; you have write very to-the-point sentences, bound in rigid structure, with no space for creativity. I'm not saying that scietific writing itself is bad. It is very important in this modern world of constant innervation. And I greatly admire those who can write scientifically and do it well. Probably because it is something that I can't manage to do. It's something that just does not sit well with my vibarent and flowing personality.

I truly have know idea how I've managed to get through medical university and to have done well! To have almost completed an MSc!! Sometimes I can't help thinking that maybe there are two different Nidas existing in this one body. One that is calm, studious, religious and shy; who wants nothing more than to curl up with a good book. She's the 'Nida' that most people meet on a daily basis. The other seems to be quite crazy and cheeky and loud and creative; who wears bright colours on dull days and wants to run around in green fields and empty beaches. But most of all, loves to paint, sketch and write about the made-up things she sees in her mind.

How they two seem to co-exist so harmoniously, is a mystery to me.
Nida 

P.S. - Please don't forget to tell me what you think about my experiment. You can do this by clicking on the comments bottom below. Thank you. 

2 comments:

  1. Wow Masha Allah your writing is awesome!- creative and perfectly composed!

    I fell in love especially with the descriptive style of yours... And I am sure that your non-fiction writing is awesome too! Just because you may be exceptional with the other styles and enjoy writing them more doesn't mean that your non-fiction is weak. I am sure your all of your writing is superb :)

    I also read your novella "Honour and Honesty" (uptil now) and I really think you are very talented and would encourage you to carry on with your passion of writing.

    Maybe you can combine your descriptive and creative style to come up with a fictional story having deep lessons behind for the Muslim youth- youth loving all that is emotional, action packed and exciting!!!

    And I loved the way you descrbed the two Nidas within you! I feel just the same at times :P

    Looking forward to reading more from you :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jazakallah khair for that lovely comment sister. Your words have been really encouraging. :)

      'Honour & Honesty' is actually part of a trilogy, set in the Victorian era, as I'm sure you know by now. Unfortunately, I've had to put the entire trilogy on hold at the moment because I think that the project is still, somewhat, in it's infancy and I need to do a lot more research about the time period before I can continue.

      As for your query on fiction for Muslim youths, I am working on it as we speak. My novel "Life in Conversations", that I mention above, is centred on the life of a Muslim woman living in the West, and it moves through 3 phase: 1) being a teenage girl, 2) as an independent career woman and 3) being a wife and all that entails. I think that it just needs a bit more touching up, before I can look into publishing it. I've also started sketching out a plan for an adventure story about Angels and Jinn, in the Islamic perspective. But I think this will be for younger readers, 10-14 year old.

      I'm really glad to hear you enjoy reading my blog. I, too, look forward to hearing from you again. :)

      Delete